For many of us, we have the desire to keep ourselves fit, lose those ghastly excess pounds and enjoy good health.
So, what is HIIT, you ask? It means High-Intensity Interval Training, which basically translates into short bursts of high-intensity exercises, followed by low intense recovery periods. For example, you can run at a fast intense pace for 30 seconds and reduce your pace to a slow walk for 30 seconds or so to recover and start again.
HIIT allows you to benefit from a longer duration workout in less time and provides you with a plethora of other benefits as well:
- HIIT can be done anywhere, whether at your house or apartment, at a hotel, and does not require equipment to do so.
- It is perfect to manage your time, for example, you can do a short workout in the early morning before your kids wake up.
- You will lose a LOT of calories with a HIIT workout compared to a low-intensity workout (some research showed as much as 25% to 30% more calories burned with HIIT).
- Your metabolic rate is higher and your body will still be burning fat hours after a HIIT workout
- HIIT can reduce your heart rate and blood pressure as well as your blood sugar (for those who have diabetes)
1 Beginner 15-min HIIT workout
If you’re new to the whole HIIT thing, here is a good base from Emi to try.
This is a 15-exercise workout, with 45 seconds per exercise and 15 seconds rest. Since there is no jumping involved, you can do it in your house or apartment, without disturbing anyone.
2 Beginner+ 15-min HIIT Workout
Paula shows us another beginner HIIT Full body workout, at a less challenging 15 secs of work and 10 seconds of rest per exercise.
3 HIIT Full Body 15-min Fat Burning Workout (without jumping)
Emi again shares with us a more advanced 15-min HIIT Full Body Fat burning workout. This workout is composed again of 15 exercises, each lasting 45 seconds and 15 seconds for rest between each exercise.
Burn, calories! Burn!
4 HIIT Full Body 15-min Workout, with no jumping (slightly more challenging)
This total body workout from Chloe is composed of 15 exercises and also involves no jumping actions to make this apartment-friendly .
But this time, each exercise is at a longer 50 seconds and has a shorter 10 seconds rest between each exercise.
Get ready for some serious sweat!
5 Low Impact 8-exercise HIIT Full Body Workout
Joanna is a certified personal trainer and shows us a quick 8-exercise full body workout to sweat hard. Only 40 seconds per exercise and 10 second rest per exercise.
Don’t just look. Let’s do it!
6 Hotel HIIT Workout
The body coach shares with us 8 exercises at 40 seconds per exercise but with a decent 20 seconds of rest.
Perfect when travelling on the road and keeping fit during our trip.
7 HIIT Full Body Workout
On her first workout video ever, Samantha does a good job showing what it takes to break a serious sweat.
45 seconds per exercise and 15 seconds of rest between each one.
Give it a go!
Start slowly and increase your pace when you start getting the hang of it.
Photo credit: Pexel